Monday, May 23, 2011

My 23rd Birthday!

Over the weekend was my 23rd birthday. It's weird to say 23. I learned a few things over the weekend.

1) I never thought I would say this, but sometimes I wish I lived at home. I miss being able to ask my mom a question on a whim and have her answer, which, ya know, I could do over the phone I suppose.

2) What YOU think as a sweet potato, is not really a sweet potato. What you think it a sweet potato, is a yam.

Left; yam. Right; sweet potato.

3) It's nice to dress up and go out every now and then, which is what I did for my birthday.

4) Almost everything tastes better homemade.

Well, for my birthday I was pretty much a bum the entire day until my dinner. My boyfriend and I went to Sullivan's a steakhouse by me. I ate too much food. Mac & Cheese done steak house style (which is always the best), blackened salmon, shrimp, and crab fried rice. And then,
probably the largest crème brûlée I've ever seen.

I also, for some odd reason, I felt the huge need to make my own cake. Who does that for birthdays? Well, me for numerous reasons. I kind of get control freak and indifferent about my birthday. So I made my own tiramisu because it's one of my favorite desserts.

It.
Step one, clean your kitchen.

Was.
Set your self up with a movie to watch while you bake.


A.
Making marscapone cheese.


Pain.
Zabaglione sauce was quite interesting. Had some decent port in it.


In.
My set up to put my cake together.


My.
First layer of lady fingers lightly dabbed with coffee.


Ass.
This is the finished piece!


However, I did learn a lot and the cake was great.


I got my recipe from here: Sprinkle Bakes. Her site is so fun. I want to be her. Go forth and learn from her!

Until next time!

~H

No comments:

Post a Comment